Discussion
Topics
Last Day
Last Week
Tree View

Search
New Messages
Keyword Search

Help
Getting Started
Formatting
Troubleshooting
Program Credits

Utilities
Edit Profile
Administration
Contact

 
forum - discussion board
- about - downloads - registration - forum - misc - home - © 1996-99 GWD Text Editor

Improvements on the FTP plug-in

GWD Text Editor Forum: Suggestions: Improvements on the FTP plug-in
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Bart Lateur on Tuesday, June 3, 2003 - 02:51 pm:

Over time, I've grown quite reliant on the FTP plug-in to load and save remote files. However, it has a few quite annoying shortcomings, that need fixing. IMO, at least. :)

  • Some buttons fall off the dialog box. On some systems I only see two icon buttons, even the "move up one directory" button drops off. On others, I see 3 and a half. I don't know if there are any more.
  • The cache seems to be unable to deal with more than one user per server. It's directory structure includes the server name in the path, and it uses it to associate it with an account. But I have several accounts on one server, with different user name and password, and thanks to chroot, they see different file trees. I would suggest changing the directory name from "ftp.server.com" to "user@ftp.server.com", following a convention that many browsers understand, and which seems compatible with Win32's file system.
  • Whenever I just downloaded a file, a dialog box pops up asking if I want to download it again! If I download a few files at a time, it asks between individual file downloads. (I think it's must be related to the local file modification date.) Clearly this needs to be suppressed, for this particular case.
  • If I open a file from the file cache, for example from the "recent files" list, it asks if I want to download a new copy from the server, and if I say yes, it tries, makes a connection with the server, and next fails with a message "cannot create file", and the path it lists is a local directory, not a file.

There might be a few more, but these are all I can recall for now.

If you don't plan on fixing these, how about making the plug-in open source? So one of us can try to fix it?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Wednesday, October 8, 2003 - 05:17 pm:

I agree. The FTP feature is very critical, bu the third bullet Bart mentions is very annoying...


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By chuckf on Tuesday, December 2, 2003 - 03:05 pm:

Go to http://www.gwdsoft.com/downloads/src/plugins/
to get the src.


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 10:15 pm:

I have admire your unselfishness in taking the time to make this web site.


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 04:41 am:

A pleasure to look at, go on with this! Thanks!


Add a Message


This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:


- about - downloads - registration - forum - misc - home - © 1996-99 GWD Text Editor